Name: Luca Bindi
Place of Birth: Prato, Italy
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra
Employment following Ph.D.:
(1) post-doctoral research position in mineralogical crystallography – Univ. Florence (2000-2004).
(2) temporary Researcher in Mineralogy – Univ. Florence (2004-2006).
(3) Curator of the Division of Mineralogy of the Natural History Museum of the University of Florence, Italy (2006-2011).
Selected Appointments, Honors and Awards:
1) 2001: “Tesi di Dottorato Award” of the Società Italiana di Mineralogia e Petrologia (SIMP).
2) 2004: “Panichi Award” for Mineralogy of the Società Italiana di Mineralogia e Petrologia (SIMP).
3) 2006: “Nardelli Award” of the Associazione Italiana di Cristallografia (AIC). Medallist lecture entitled “Unusual crystallographic approaches to study complex minerals: The case of modulated and conductive compounds” (AIC Congress, Ferrara, September 18-21, 2006).
4) 2006: “EMU Excellence Research Medal” of the European Mineralogical Union. Medallist lecture entitled “From the invalidity of the law of rational indices to the concept of superspace: A crystallographic excursion in the modulated world of minerals” (EGU Congress, Vienna, April 15-20, 2007). Medal laudations published on Elements (April 2007 Issue, Volume 3, number 2).
5) 2007: “Foreign Outstanding Young Researcher Award” of the Russian Mineralogical Society. Medallist lecture entitled “The pearceite-polybasite group of minerals: An outstanding example of the close link between mineralogy and the most advanced fields of crystallography” (“Fedorov Session” Congress, Saint Petersburg, October 8-10, 2008).
6) 2010: International Award “Luigi Tartufari” for Geology of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei. The Award Ceremony was on June 24th, 2010 at the presence of the President Giorgio Napolitano.
7) 2011: The new mineral lucabindiite, (K,NH4)As4O6(Cl,Br), has been named after him.
8) 2011: Two scientific papers related to the discovery of the first natural quasicrystal have been cited in the “Scientific Background on the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2011 - The Discovery of Quasicrystals” of the Nobel Committee for Chemistry - Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
Affiliations and editorial activity:
Member of the Council of the Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology, 2006-2009.
Secretary of the Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology, 2010-2013.
Member of the IMA-CNMNC (International Mineralogical Association - Commission on New Minerals, Nomenclature and Classification), Subcommittee on Sulfosalts, 2004-2006.
Member of the IMA (International Mineralogical Association) Commission on Museums, National Member, from January 2008.
Associate Editor of European Journal of Mineralogy, 2007-2014.
Associate Editor of Periodico di Mineralogia, 2008-2013.
Referee for the scientific journals: “The American Mineralogist“, “European Journal of Mineralogy“, “Mineralogy and Petrology“, “The Canadian Mineralogist“, “Journal of Solid State Chemistry“, “Mineralogical Magazine“, “Acta Crystallographica“, “Physics and Chemistry of Minerals“, “Lithos“, “Periodico di Mineralogia“, “Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology”, “Earth and Planetary Science Letters”, “Inorganic Chemistry”, from 1999.
Main expertises and field of research interest:
His research activity has been devoted to four different areas:
a) mantle mineralogy (clinopyroxenes, garnets);
b) aperiodic structures in natural phases (melilite, fresnoite, calaverite, natrite, muthmannite, icosahedrite);
c) superstructures, twinning and structural complexity in minerals (melilites, pearceite, polybasite, samsonite, calaverite, empressite);
d) new mineral species [gatelite-(Ce), museumite, mazzettiite, selenojalpaite, mutnovskite, melliniite, olmiite, cupropearceite, cupropolybasite, selenopolybasite, dalnegroite, tazieffite, fantappieite, bassoite, tazzoliite, icosahedrite].
Employed techniques were: single-crystal and powder X-ray diffraction, microanalysis (EMPA, SIMS), microscopy (SEM, TEM, HRTEM) and, occasionally, spectroscopy (FTIR, Raman, Mössbauer).
He has authored more than 130 publications in leading international mineralogical journals.
1. L. Bindi, P. Bonazzi, M. Dusek, V. Petříček, G. Chapuis (2001) Five dimensional structure refinement of natural melilite (Ca1.89Sr0.01Na0.08K0.02)(Mg0.92Al0.08)(Si1.98Al0.02)O7. Acta Crystallographica, B57, 739-746.
2. L. Bindi, R.T. Downs, G.E. Harlow, O.G. Safonov, Yu. A. Litvin, L.L. Perchuk, H. Uchida, S. Menchetti (2006) Compressibility of synthetic potassium-rich clinopyroxene: In situ high-pressure single-crystal X-ray study. American Mineralogist, 91, 802-808.
3. L. Bindi, M. Evain, S. Menchetti (2006) Temperature dependence of the silver distribution in the crystal structure of natural pearceite, (Ag,Cu)16(As,Sb)2S11. Acta Crystallographica, B62, 212-219.
4. L. Bindi, V. Petříček, R.L. Withers, M. Zoppi, P. Bonazzi (2006) Novel high-temperature commensurate superstructure in natural bariopyrochlore: a structural study by means of a multiphase crystal structure refinement. Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 179, 716-725.
5. L. Bindi, M. Evain, A. Pradel, S. Albert, M. Ribes, S. Menchetti (2006) Fast ionic conduction character and ionic phase-transitions in disordered crystals: The complex case of the minerals of the pearceite-polybasite group. Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, 33, 677-690.
6. L. Bindi, A. Bobrov, Yu.A. Litvin (2007) Incorporation of Fe3+ in phase X, A2-xM2Si2O7Hx, a potential high-pressure K-rich hydrous silicate in the mantle. Mineralogical Magazine, 71, 265-272.
7. L. Bindi, A. Arakcheeva, G. Chapuis (2009) The role of silver on the stabilization of the incommensurately modulated structure in calaverite, AuTe2. American Mineralogist, 94, 728-736.
8. L. Bindi, P.J. Steinhardt, N. Yao, P. Lu (2009) Natural Quasicrystals. Science, 324, 1306-1309.
9. L. Bindi, A.M. Dymshits, A.V. Bobrov, K.D. Litasov, A.F. Shatskiy, E. Ohtani, Y.A. Litvin (2011) Crystal chemistry of sodium in the Earth’s interior: The structure of Na2MgSi5O12 synthesized at 17.5 GPa and 1700 °C. American Mineralogist, 96, 447-450.
10. L. Bindi, J.M. Eiler, Y. Guan, L. Hollister, G.J. MacPherson, P.J. Steinhardt, N. Yao (2012) Evidence for the extra-terrestrial origin of a natural quasicrystal. PNAS, 108.
List of selected scientific submitted for publications in peer-reviewed journals: